X

Wax Marketing Blog

Marketing blogs I’m reading now

Since I recently listed several of my favorite PR sites – I thought it would be a good idea to post some of my favorite sites on the marketing side here too. I love RSS feeds – not only is it easy to stay up to date it shows me how prolific and smart many of my colleagues are in this business. Here are some of the blogs I’m following right now – and why. If you don’t mind, take a minute and list your own favorites in the comments section.

If I was only allowed one blog to read, for sure it would be Marketing Profs Daily Although many of us on Twitter are quite familiar with the brilliant Beth Harte, there are TONS of great posts on any marketing topic from sales to social media. The archive is huge and easy to search. I don’t pay for the “premium” option but I’ve been told it’s well worth it if you have the time. I try to read anything by Stephanie Miller and Kim Stearns but the site also links good posts from other blogs as well. It’s  a great collection of articles on just about any topic I need from a broad range of experts.

Although most people bow down to the OTHER Chris, I really like Chris Garrett’s site. He’s taught me a ton about new media, and blogging in particular. I wouldn’t say his posts are for blog neophytes or those just dabbling in it, but for someone who’s really trying to become adept at blogging and using the new media toolset, ChrisG is an excellent resource. I haven’t shelled out the $397 for his Authority Blogger course – anyone out there tried it?

Everybody knows that Seth Godin is brilliant – although I think his books are MUCH better than his blogging, I still love to read his blog. (Everyone should read Tribes, by the way)  The guy can say more in a few sentences than anybody else I know.  One thing that drives me nuts is his insistence on just continuing to put several posts on one page, so you end up scrolling around alot. But that’s just a nit. Seth’s a god of marketing.

John Jantsch’s Duct Tape Marketing is not a blog that I read daily, but it is required reading for my small business clients. This blog manages to take the mystery out of marketing and really boils it down to its simplest (but most effective) elements for small business. Case in point – his post on marketing strategy points out the critical questions every small business should ask themselves when planning a marketing campaign. Really good, back to the basics blog with some fun personal musings. Again, if you own a small business this should be a daily read.

Finally, maybe it’s because I’m the daughter of a pathologist but I love Brand Autopsy. The dramatic readings are hysterical and it’s a bit pop but it’s a fast read. The author, John Moore, is a former Starbucks/Whole Foods marketer who seems to know his stuff as far as word of mouth marketing goes. And it’s fun – I particularly like his “brands I would miss” series. Again, a fun, fast read.

AdAge’s has a great list of 150 marketing and PR sites if you’re looking for a specific topic.

Tags:

15 Comments

1. LuAnne Speeter Says :
    Posted on September 2, 2009 at 10:57 am

Thanks for the great list, Bonnie! I agree – Seth Godin and Marketing Profs Daily are essentials.
    I’d like to call your attention to another marketing blog with a unique focus: The Altruistic Marketer (http://altruisticmarketer.wordpress.com/). It recognizes the potential effect that marketers have on making the world a better place and engages readers to add greater value and meaning through socially relevant efforts. Economic and social changes are inspiring companies to reexamine marketing strategies; the Altruistic Marketer shares practical ways marketers can address the changing marketplace while making a difference in their companies and communities. Even if you don’t post this comment, I’d like you to check it out.

2. Karl Foxley
    Posted on September 3, 2009 at 7:16 am

Seth Godin, Marketng Expirements, Marketing Profs and Marketing Sherpa are my ‘must’ reads. Everything else comes under the ‘will read if I have the time’.

I’ve not come across Brand Autopsy before but have now added it to my bookmarks (I had a look around at a few posts and liked what I read).

Thanks for sharing,

Karl

3. Michael Thimmesch Says :
    Posted on December 2, 2009 at 5:43 pm

I was just looking for a list of good marketing bloggers and here you’ve got it! Thanks for putting it together. Who do you think does the best job of writing marketing blogs from a b2b perspective?

4. Wax Blog » Blog Archive » 7 steps to building a bigger market muscle for your business Says :
    Posted on December 11, 2009 at 2:13 pm

[…] For more ideas on building your marketing muscle, check out my favorite marketing blogs. […]

5. 7 Steps To Bigger Marketing Muscle In 2010- Beauty and Your Biz
    Posted on January 25, 2010 at 1:58 pm

6. muscle max xl promo code Says :
    Posted on February 4, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Great stuff here :)

7. Internet Marketing
    Posted on May 31, 2010 at 6:03 am

Thanks for sharing and by briefly explaining the must visited websites about Social Media and Marketing sites. They are obviously the top bloggers in the industry I would love to learn more from them.

8. UK Pop Up Displays
    Posted on June 17, 2010 at 11:01 am

I just went through the list. you done a good job there.

9. Lucy | Lookup tool Says :
    Posted on August 14, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for this list, personaly, on my favorite bookmarks i like Dosh Dosh and Problogger which give excellent tips for all webmasters.

10. Bent Says :
    Posted on September 29, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Great list thanks for sharing :-)

11. Jean Says :
    Posted on March 19, 2011 at 5:18 am

Seth Godin has authored 10 books which have been bestsellers around the world. He is also a renowned speaker.

12. Kristina Jefries Says :
    Posted on April 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I’ve been searching for good reads to follow. I’m looking forward to the Duck Tape Marketing and Brand Autopsy. Thanks!

13. BillionAgent Says :
    Posted on May 18, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Wow! Way to say it straight-on! I wish some of my billionaire clientele would have these type of guts. Good stuff.

14. Richard Chase
    Posted on July 1, 2011 at 3:56 am

My favs are Duct Tape marketing and Seth Godin. Also Marketing Profs Daily, which I must confess I haven’t checked for a while. Will check out some of the others on your list.

A change around is good from time to time for a new perspective. Thanks for the list.

15. Gemstone jewelry
    Posted on January 15, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Great list thanks for sharing